Thursday, April 14, 2011

carnitas my way! or if you have a better name let me know?

My mom loves to grocery shopping at a little latino market on Alvarado st. I walk in there and the smell of cartinas was all around the place, while I was walking through the corridors waiting for my mom to decide between 8 oz. can of coconut milk for $1.00 and a 16 oz. can of the same for $1.89, the only thing in my head was carnitas!!! I love it, is my favorite meat and the best way to eat its on tacos and I tough hum? it will be interesting to know how does carnitas taste out of its shell, then like a lightning stroke into my brain lets make some sort of casserole; I now when I give some to my mom to taste she will probably be mad and most likely say "what are you thinking! carnitas are only for tacos and tacos only!" but after the first bite she will forgive me, let's hope. so I bought 2 lbs of carnitas and on the way home came out with this I'm not really sure how to call it, so I will take some suggestions.

2 lbs carnitas, 1 jalapeno ( seeded and finely chopped), 2 Roma tomatoes (roughly chopped), 1 small onion (finely chopped), 1 tbsp tomato paste, 2 8 oz tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of milk, 8 medium size flour tortillas, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 stick of butter (cut into little pieces), 1/2 cup or more of sheered mozzarella, 1/3 of panko (bread crumbs) 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

pre-heat your oven at 375 dg.

Place the carnitas in the food processor and pulse until you get very small pieces. On a sauce pan heat the olive oil then caramelize the onion then add the tomato paste, jalapeno and mix well add the carnitas, tomato sauce, milk salt and pepper to taste bring the mixture to a boil for about 8-10 min then take off the heat and let it cool enough to handle.

On a flour tortilla put some of the carnitas mixture then fold the top the ends and over to create like a taco but close the ends so no mixture can get out and place in a oven prof dish large enough to fit all 8 tortillas on one layer. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and the mixture, you should have some mixture left.



pour the rest of the mixture on top of the tortillas then add the heavy cream, butter top with cheese and panko. place in the heated oven for 40 min or until golden brown.

       




I hope you guys enjoy this! and Ps. my husband suggest not to add the pine nuts because it take the flavor away from the whole dish. thank you dear judge for your suggestion!

No comments:

Post a Comment